Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Sorry! - system down ....!
.
Where I work, I am surrounded by computer geeks or soon-to-be-ones. I realised we are totally (well, almost) dependant on this technology. There was a time when Government officials were often proudly declaring their 'paperless' administrative prowess.
Now , does that mean we are going to be 'super-efficient', well, okay, maybe I am being too ambitious here -- so lets just say 'efficient' with the advent of this technology ? I have seen and heard about students' projects which portray marvellous systems and what-have-yous.
But , to me , these systems are only as good as the HUMANS manning them . As a consumer and a user, I still wonder -- suspiciously at the famous sign standing unashamedly but boldly claiming to us humans the consumers --
" SORRY - SYSTEM DOWN :
or
"OFF-LINE "
What does all these mean to us mortals ? It means ---
"go away---I have no time to entertain you ! What was that? You have a transaction to do with us ? Too bad ! Read the sign and come back another day !. What ! You took a day off today to do this ? Too bad ! Go take another day off tomorrow ! I've no time for you now, shoo! shoo! "
Just a few days ago I was unbelievably embarrassed when a colleague ( who is a foreigner) , was checking the web-site of a well-known local university on the Phd.s programmes.
Why ? Firstly, the site hasn't been updated for years ! Secondly, when he clicked on the button that shows "STAFF" with the hope of getting the details of the Academic staff ( it IS a learning institution) , but guess what he got instead !~ Photographs of the administrative staff, showing the clerks, officers and executive ....mmmmm ..nice !
Anyway these are just my afternoon thoughts---I'm sure I have more ideas and experience to write about , but sorry - my sytem is also down !!!!!
.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
