Sunday, October 26, 2008

 

From sunnysideup2

WHEN ADMITTING DEFEAT IS A PLEASURE !


I happily conceded defeat to a friend. Yes , I’m happily defeated. Let me explain this.

Food has been a topic we talked about often. There are many common likes and dislikes . However, one painful disagreement between us stands out like a sore thumb - Japanese food !

She would sing her praise of this Japanese what-you-put-in-your-mouth thingy. And I would politely sound ( or rather remain quiet ) about my disagreement as I picture raw fish being sliced, albeit with craft and skill, and served on little plates travelling on conveyor belt. And in my mind, I could also see raw squid, raw this and raw that and worse still, people picking up these with their short and slim chopsticks – and putting them in their mouth —urrgghh !!

I diplomatically swallowed sourish saliva fighting hard not to put a funny face in front of her.

She, being she, the look on my face must have told what was in my mind. I remember her invitation ( read it as ‘challenge’ ) to change my mind . I have to admit at that moment it was SO difficult to smile in agreement, but I did manage a ” Convince me , my friend !” look — or did I actually said it ?

Now that was sometime ago. And since then, we had our adventure of fine Chinese food ( which has always been my favourite anyway ) which I thoroughly enjoyed. And the new places she introduced me to - places I wouldn’t have known for the life of me..

One day after lunch at MJ , we saw a new Japanese resteraunt . We had a peek and I have to admit I was beginning to get curious. At that moment, I guess I was prepared to give it a try. Yes, I was feeling brave. But maybe I was pretending to myself because I know we just had had lunch and there was no way that we could have another one.

Anyway it didn’t happen. I had mixed feeling about that and actually told myself I must find out for myself. Maybe it was the place that convinced me — but the issue here was food. Anyway I left it at that.

Now the crunch ! One day we were going to have lunch and we agreed to go to the new place. As luck would have it, it was closed on that day. Aw drat ! double drat ! In my mind I was saying , when will I get to try ! Ha! brave words –for someone who has nightmares of raw meat and fish !!!

Anyway, we found another place. A nice place. As soon as we were seated, the menu were brought to us. Next begin a lesson of Japanese culinary terminology. She knows her food , she does !

Thank God for photographs as it helped so much. She explained an array of delicacies from the raw –to the grilled and cooked ! (surprise!)]

I have to admit, I was swallowing my saliva –this time with the desire to taste the food. I think we spend an equal number of time studying and choosing the food as actually eating them.

I was lost for choice and surprised at myself ! I actually looked forward to having them. Finally we decided on three dishes.

Whilst waiting, the tea was nice. Then it arrived. I was so apprehensive. This is it ! I could feel her watching me watching the food ! Hmmmmm. Am I sure I want to do this ? I asked myself . Of course you do you idiot ! came my own answer.

With the chopstick, I picked the first piece of chicken and cautiously put them in my mouth. I could sense and see her –watching and waiting for my reaction !. My tension turn to pleasure, closed my eyes and let out a long breath ! WOW ! That's what I said. WOW! Something to die for !!!!

I LIKE IT !! I dug in without hesitation. Everything ! Noodles, soup and others which I couldn’t remember the names. Who cares ! It taste just as good without a name !

Their version of pizza doesn’t look like anything like pizza ! To me, I saw what looked like pastry at the base and a whole cob-webs of untidy stuffs which I couldn’t describe. Taking a small helping- I worriedly put in my mouth. To me, initially there was a smell of stale air in the ‘cob-web’. I told her that it might take some acquiring of taste , because after a while, it became acceptable.

Do I like it ? I guess if finishing about half of the plate (or was it more ?) means I do –then yes, I like it.

The only stuff that I could not take is something called steamed egg ! That was a no no for me.

Everything else ? I love it ! The smile on her face , watching me downing the food is my admission of defeat —which I so give with the greatest of pleasure ! And that was how it was………

Oh, dear friend, did you say Sakata ? —hmmm….Why not !

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]